Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Exploring more particle fun

FROM http://oizys.livejournal.com/225043.html

I'd gotten a little bored with all the particles moving straight, and while waiting for the motivation for my true ParticleData slice structure rewrite that will allow me true velocity/accel control over parameters, I decided to pursue the other half of particles:

Affectors.

ParticleEmitters now have an Affector stack which can have an arbitrary amount of ParticleAffector objects that evaluate for each particle.

A simple example is wind/gravity/force. This looks and feels awesome even for a simple single affector.

But shmups often have over 50% of the bullets that go no where... why would you fire like this? Why does the fire have to be stupid also? What if the fire actually wanted to kill the player?
It might look something more like this Attractor. In this example, you can hold the mouse down to reverse the attractor (To make a repulsor) - a useful weapon in your arsenal.

Oh and since I programmed all the ParticleAffector objects with the ability to have a 'global' effect or a localized (BASED ON SPRITE SHAPE!!) effect - I can easily contain this. (note, repulsor mode here makes awesome bounce shield like effect).

I think my goal is to make a shmup that makes people invent new curse words and name them after me.

No comments: